Originally Published in Buffalo Rising
February 7, 2019
The Sheehan Residence at 336 Linwood Avenue has been sold by the Diocese of Buffalo. Mingo Junction Steel Works LLC paid $1.3 million for the property. The LLC appears to be affiliated with Frontier Group of Companies. The company has been involved with the development of 500 Seneca Street, Seneca Street Lofts, and Buffalo River Landing.
Proceeds from the sale will be devoted to the Retired Diocesan Priests’ Medical Benefits Fund. The three-story brick building at Linwood and Utica was originally built in 1928 as the rectory for what was then St. Joseph Cathedral on Delaware Avenue. The “New Cathedral” as it was known was demolished in the 1970’s and the former rectory has been used ever since as a residence for retired priests. The building features 12 suite-style units. There are three other diocesan residences for retired priests which can accommodate those now living at the Sheehan residence.